"I don't know what that problem is," she told me. "I've been working really hard, but I can't ever seem to reach the success I've been chasing. There must be something wrong with me."
It's a common complaint I hear in many different forms:
- "I'm stuck."
- "No matter what I do, it doesn't seem to work."
- "Maybe I'm not cut out for this."
- "I'm working as hard as I can, but I can't seem to get there."
All of these complaints have mindset at their core. It isn't that you aren't working hard enough. Success doesn't have to be so elusive. At the core of all these problems is the thoughts, feelings, beliefs, attitudes and values that underlie everything you do. Mindset is the voice in your head that tells you "I can't..." It's the part that tells you "I don't deserve..." It is at the core of your self-doubt and lack of confidence.
Usually these thoughts, feelings, beliefs, attitudes and values have their foundations in events from your past. They are the reactions to events in your life that didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. As a result you jumped to conclusions about what the problem was. You formed beliefs that began to limit you, and you found "proof" that you were right in your conclusions by doing what we all do when we form a belief. We ignore evidence to the contrary. We distort the evidence to "prove" we were right all along. And we generalize from situations where the belief may be true to all situations or every single time.
Then to make it even more complicated, the beliefs, thoughts, feelings, attitudes and values fall out of our awareness and become unconscious. We don't even realize these mindset saboteurs are chugging away under the surface messing everything up.
As amazing as it may seem, 90% of your success or failure are the result of mindset issues. Specifically, it's those mindset limitations you've unconsciously set into motion. It is vitally important to address your mindset issues. If you don't you'll continue to struggle.
The top 5 reasons to address your mindset limitations are
1. To get rid of obstacles that block your goals--especially obstacles that are self-imposed.
Your mindset limitations stop you just as completely as if you were running head-first into a brick wall.
2. To get off the roller-coaster and create CONSISTENT results.Maybe you've had some success, but you can't seem to duplicate it and your ups and downs are affecting your confidence.
3. To conquer your fears.No matter if your fears are of a fear of failure, a fear of success, a fear of being noticed, a fear of rejection, fear plays a huge role in taking the steps you need to in order to be successful. If you are fearful, you'll avoid doing the things you need to do to succeed.
4. To get rid of self-doubt.
Self doubt often keeps you stuck. You lack the confidence to get out there and do what you need to in order to achieve your goals. Self-doubt is composed of "what if's" and most of them are catastrophic. If you can get out of your own way, you are likely to discover that you are more capable then you thought. You really CAN do those things you didn't think you could.
5. To get rid of limiting beliefs that hurt your confidence and self-esteem.Those may be beliefs like "I'm not worthy," or "I have to be perfect," or "I'm not good enough." If you've been thinking there's something wrong with you, there is likely a limiting belief that is feeding it.
The good news is that mindset limitations can be resolved. The bad news is that you can't just decide to believe or think something more helpful. Because mindset issues tend to lurk in the unconscious, you can't consciously change them--you have to change them with unconscious methods. Think about it--if you chant "There are no weeds in my garden; there are no weeds in my garden; there are no weeds in my garden," a hundred times, what happens? The weeds still take over your garden. You have to DO something, and it has to address the weed's roots.
Want to know more? Contact me, Linda Pucci at Linda@InnerResourceCenter.com to schedule time to talk over the phone about your mindset limitations and what you can do about it. There are lots of techniques and methods that work. When you are ready to address your mindset, email me and we'll talk about what will work best for you.
Linda Pucci, Ph.D. is a personal and business coach and an expert in helping clients resolve mindset issues that interfere with their success and happiness. For more information go to http://www.InnerResourceCenter.com to learn about her services.