When you have the right resources you can solve ANY problem!

When you're stuck...

When you don't know who you are anymore ...

When you are exploring career changes.

The Inner Resource Center is the place to go!




Inner Resource Center

Monday, July 4, 2011

Being True to Yourself Gives True Freedom

"True independence and freedom can only exist in doing what's right."

~Brigham Young


When we allow ourselves to be guided by our moral compass and our  beliefs about what is really right, we can be authentic to ourselves and those around us.  When you are true to yourself, you can experience true independence and  freedom.  It isn't about being what others expect of us that counts; it is what we expect of ourselves.  When we live our personal code of what we believe is right, we express ourselves more fully.  Doing that means setting and enforcing boundaries with others about what we believe is right.  Here's an example:  Many years ago when I was still in grad school, I had a boyfriend who didn't pay his child support.  He used his tax refund to buy a camera instead.  Although I tried to pretend that it was none of my business, this ran so counter to my sense of what was right that I ultimately felt compelled 
to end the relationship.    

This week:  Spend some time evaluating how in tune your life and daily activities are with what you think is right.  Do you ever "go along" just to not make waves?  Do you stand up to intolerance?  Do you express your beliefs, even if they aren't popular?  It takes courage to stand up for what you believe, but the payoff is huge in terms of your own self respect, freedom and authenticity.  This week make the decision to stand up for ONE THING with ONE PERSON.  Notice how this feels. 

Linda Pucci, Ph.D. is a psychologist, life coach and expert in helping people uncover their values, needs, life's purpose, passion and meaning.  She specializes in helping people overcome negative emotions and limiting beliefs from the past, (what she calls "emotional clutter").  For more information go to http://www.InnerResourceCenter.com .  

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Of all of your weekly challenges, I think this is the hardest one for me. To find the courage to stand up and cause ripples is really scary, but the power I will feel once do it will be amazing.

Anonymous said...

Linda,
This is a good one for me this week. Today I heard a lot of chatter on Facebook and in e-mail about that woman in Florida who was found not guilty of murder for her child. I don't like to follow things like that, I feel they are sensationalist and not my business. But usually I just remain quiet about it. Today I really wanted to say to a few people "how come you got so wrapped up in this and spent weeks of your time on something that isn't your life?" I felt like standing up for non-involvement in drama.

Anonymous said...

Linda, Thank you so much! This post backed up my courage in an issue. You see, I've been writing a lot lately on the importance of Love in leadership. I know that is not a popular - and for most an uncomfortable - topic.

But I must write. I slso must continue to point out the Love I see in the individuals I coach. Thanks for 'backing-up' my courage.
Jeff

Mary Ellen said...

Linda, I cannot imagine you with a guy like him! It is always best to follow our moral compass. You did so and you recall that moment years later. Thank you.

Tiffany deSilva said...

I love it. When you are true to yourself, you experience true independence and freedom.