When you have the right resources you can solve ANY problem!

When you're stuck...

When you don't know who you are anymore ...

When you are exploring career changes.

The Inner Resource Center is the place to go!




Inner Resource Center

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

What Can You Do When You’re Pulled in Too Many Directions?



Plan Wisely to Pace Yourself



This time of year is an especially busy one for a lot of us, and we may find ourselves pulled in several directions. Since I own my own business and see coaching clients by phone or in person throughout the year, I need to manage my time so that I can accommodate my clients, especially when holidays may interrupt their normal schedule and mine. 

It’s also the end of my fiscal year, so I need to pull together my records. That will let me know how I’ve done in 2017, as well as prepare the information I have to send into the IRS in January. That’s the preface for getting ready to file both my personal and business taxes in the new year. Whew! It’s a big job, but one that, luckily, I can do in small pieces.

This time of year I’m pulled in a number of personal directions at well. I’m getting ready for Christmas, which will include participating as a host for our neighborhood party (which means not only decorating the house, but also cleaning it from top to bottom and cooking—none of which are my best things). In addition, I’m buying presents for family members, getting together with friends, and sending out Christmas/Holiday cards. 

While all of this seems a bit overwhelming when I list it all, I know that it can be manageable if I plan the things I need to accomplish and the time it will take to accomplish them. 

How do I do that? I group things together to minimize the trips I need to make to the 
store(s). Since I don’t always have a big block of time to work on things, I do a few things at a time, and combine tasks when I can. For instance, I’ll add the lights to the tree during my favorite TV program. I’ll drop things off at the post office on my way to lunch with a friend I don’t see nearly often enough, and I’ll stop at the mall and the Co-op for horse feed before I head back to the office. 

I will make lists of what I’ll need for the neighborhood party and the tasks I need to get done. By putting it down in a list, I keep it from cluttering up my brain. All I’ll have to remember is to keep my list with me everywhere, and remember to look at it. 

It could feel stressful, but it really doesn’t. For one thing, I keep in mind what’s most important about the holidays, and why I’m doing it all. I also cut myself some slack when necessary. I look for shortcuts—I buy a spinach dip and add water chestnuts to it to make it more special; I’ll collaborate with a neighbor so that preparation of snack food doesn’t fall only to me. If necessary, I’ll get up a little bit earlier, or go to bed a little bit later. I’ll ask for help. More importantly, I’ll deep six any perfectionism—it has no place in my life, especially at this time of year. 

I’ll make sure my schedule has time in it for getting essential things done. For me, that has to do with people (including clients, family, and friends); my animals; and keeping organized. The organization piece is for my own sanity—when I’m organized I’m much happier because things flow. When things flow for me, I’m a happy woman. 

How about you? What pulls at you this time of year? What sometimes makes you feel overwhelmed? What can you do differently this year to tame that overwhelm? How can you make this last month of the 2017 a very special month? If you have some tips that you’d like to share, please email them to me at Linda@InnerResourceCenter.com or share them with me on Facebook. I’ll share them with the people I’m in contact with, and maybe we can help each other. After all, isn’t giving something that has a special place in our lives right now?

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and want some help, reach out to me as well. I’m happy to make time for you. After all, people are what are really most important!

(C) 2017 Linda S. Pucci, Ph.D. All rights reserved.

No comments: